Hue opens exhibition to mark Viet Nam heritage day
Update: Nov 24, 2017
The Hue Monuments Conservation Centre on Thursday exhibited daily items that once were used by the country’s last two kings in a palace the kings used to live in prior to their coronation.

The items were displayed to celebrate the 100-year anniversary of the monument.

The objects were taken from their permanent place – Hue Museum of Royal Antiquities – to An Dinh Palace for exhibition by the centre so that visitors could get a closer look at the private daily activities of the kings by matching the items they used with their home before they assumed the throne.

Both the museum and the palace are under the management of the conservation centre, which is a local government body that controls all heritage monuments built by the kings of the Nguyen Dynasty (1802-1945) in Hue.

According to Mr. Phan Thanh Hai, the centre’s director, the exhibition marks 100 years of the existence of the palace, and at the same time, celebrates Viet Nam Heritage Day, which is on November 23 every year.

However, Mr. Hai did not reveal the closing time of the exhibition.

Khai Dinh, the dynasty’s 12th king, and Bao Dai, the 13th king, used to live in the building before they were crowned kings of the country’s last monarchy. Built in 1917, An Dinh Palace lies separately on the southern bank of Huong River, away from the citadel on the northern bank. It was the residence of Nguyen Phuc Buu Dao, who later became Khai Dinh King, and Nguyen Phuc Vinh Thuy, who later became Bao Dai King.

Today, the palace is a destination for monument tour programmes in Hue.